Cina Hazegh, Graduate Student
University of California, Irvine --  Arts, Computation and Engineering
chazegh@uci.edu  |  http://cinahazegh.com

On Apr 9, 2006, at 4:01 AM, balloon-request@balloonboard.org wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:51:51 +0200
From: juergen.messerer@freesurf.ch
Subject: AW: [Balloon] Questions about PCB layout issues
To: "Cina Hazegh" <chazegh@flashmob.com>, balloon@balloonboard.org

Hi Cina,

Have you read the following  stuff?

http://alternatezone.com/electronics/files/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf
http://www.fordemc.com/docs/download/EMC%20Design%20Guide%20for%20PCB.pdf

Various Documents and arcticles can be found here:
http://www.hottconsultants.com/
http.//www.ultracad.com

I would suggest the following books:
PCB Design for Real-World EMI Control (Bruce R. Archambeault)
Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance : A Handbook for
Designers (Mark I. Montrose)

When you have read  those articles/books then you will know which topics
are importend and which not.

Best regards

Juergen

-- Originalnachricht --
To: balloon@balloonboard.org
From: Cina Hazegh <chazegh@flashmob.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:29:45 -0700
Subject: [Balloon] Questions about PCB layout issues

My apologies for the many questions. Hopefully, someone on this list
is gracious enough to entertain my naive questions.

----------------------------

I am a student interested in the process of PCB layout and the design
of high-speed interfaces. I am interested in learning what techniques
were used in the Balloon board PCB design to ensure the proper
operation of high speed (>=100Mhz) interfaces to RAM and FLASH. I
know what the textbooks say about these matters, but I'm interested
in hearing from people that have actually successfully designed
around these issues.

Is it enough to just connect the right pins, if the given trace
lengths are short enough? Or maybe there are certain simple design
rules that can be followed?

Was the PCB simulated using some sort of transmission line model to
determine the effectiveness of the high speed lines?

How important is trace width in controlling capacitance and impedance?

Thanks.

Neu: Das erste ADSL-Abo ohne Monatsgebühr! Steigen Sie jetzt auf sunrise
ADSL free um.
http://www.sunrise.ch/privatkunden/iminternetsurfen/adsl/adsl_abosundpreise/adsl_gelegenheitssurfer/adsl_free.htm