Charles,

w.r.t my previous posting (YAFFS on NOR in Linux)...

I found that problem is due to Gross locking of FS in YAFFS. While erasing, i was not able to run any applications from YAFFS.

Since MTD layer for NOR implements locking per operation & our YAFFS FS is read-only most of the time,
I tried to  unlock YAFFS gross lock just before call to mtd->erase and locking it back again after return from MTD call.

This solved my problem of filesystem getting locked during flash erase.  i.e now i m able to run applications while flash erase is ON (ex delete of a 1MB file).
I know this is not a neat solution but owing to the point  FS in our case is read-only unless during firmware upgrade,
do you think we can live with this work-around?

or is the implementation of  grain locking only solution for having YAFFS on NOR?

Any help/direction is greatly appreciated.

Charles Manning <manningc2@actrix.gen.nz>
Sent by: yaffs-bounces@lists.aleph1.co.uk

12/02/2009 02:52 AM

yaffs@lists.aleph1.co.uk
cc
Srilatha.Narayana@lntemsys.com
Subject
Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS2 on NOR Flash - CPU overloading during erase/write

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 19:15:01 Srilatha.Narayana@lntemsys.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using YAFFS2 on Intel Strata Flash P30 for a MPC8313 based board
> (linux 2.6.29).
> I have modified YAFFS2 for NOR as in
> http://www.yaffs.net/yaffs-direct-user-guide.
>
> I am encountering this problem with YAFFS2 now -
> Any write to filesystem has been causing elevated priority threads to
> block (especially during erase).
>
> Any hint or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I am not aware of anyone using YAFFS on NOR in Linux. You will likely need to
fiddle around with the mtd interfacing to make this work well.