[Yaffs] Bad block management

Aras Vaichas arasv@magellan-technology.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:43:14 +1100

Brad Beveridge wrote:

>> I "lost" several NAND chips during my development. I simply hacked the
>> FLASH erase utilities to ignore the ignore markers and erase the bad
>> blocks anyway until I got everything working and "rescued" the chips.
>

> I've done bringup/development work on several boards using different
> arrangements of NAND.  IMHO, you will "destroy" at least a few chips in
> early development by having to erase falsely marked bad blocks, and at
> the same time erasing manufacturer marked blocks.  I've not noticed any
> significant errors by erasing manufacturer bad blocks, and you shouldn't
> be too worried about it.  That said - I also wouldn't let any of those
> "destroyed" chips out into the world in a real product.

I got the electronics engineer to make up some imitation Smartmedia cards, with
test points and headers for the logic analyser, for me so I could test with our
actual NAND chips on my development board. Those pesky chips ain't going anywhere!

I guess it's also a good test to see if YAFFS copes with a NAND that has been
"tampered" with. :)

regards,

Aras