[Yaffs] About phsyical NAND FLASH cloning

Charles Manning Charles.Manning@trimble.co.nz
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:26:22 +1300

The process Brad wrote will work fine, mostly. It does, however, have =
one or two problems:

The image will include garbage as well (ie. Old data that has been =
deleted and not garbage collected). This, in itself, is not really a =
problem but it can mean that if you try progam it inot a device with =
more bad blocks than the one used to generate the image then you might =
run out of space.

A possibly better approach is to copy the yaffs file system into a as a =
set of files and use mkyaffsimage to generate an image file from that. =
This image will have no garbage in it.

So how do you detect bad blocks in the image? Look for blocks where the =
bad block marker in the spare area is zero.=20
You should also ignore empty blocks too.

The mkyaffs utility can "format" a NAND for yaffs (in other words just =
erase all non-bad blocks) and load an image. Even if you don't use this, =
reading the code will give you a good idea of what is involved (ie. What =
the NAND programming machine needs to do).

There are a few people using NAND loading machines to load NAND with =
yaffs images for cellphones etc.

-- Charles