[Yaffs] Yaffs2 slowdown issue.

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Jan 20 03:36:05 GMT 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 06:57, Clemens.Doug wrote:
> > One thing that would help would be running some sort of "extra clean"
> > garbage collection that removes all the deleted garbage, thus making
> > future mounts etc much faster.
>
> Any ideas on the best way to go about do this?

Garbage collection is always done on a block-by-block basis. The need to run
gc is checked on almost every writing operation (write(), close(),
open(),...). At present this is done by checking various gc thresholds.

Instead, or in addition, we could also get the gc to run until there is no
more garbage. Perhaps this could be done in a background thread so that the
gc can grind while the fs is not busy.

I guess this could also be ttriggered by an ioctl() or similar too.

-- CHarles