[Yaffs] YAFFS and FUEL ITTIA/Aleph One Press Release

Wookey wookey at aleph1.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 03:41:57 GMT 2006

DB FUEL and YAFFS team up to offer new generation of database and flash
memory solutions for developers of Mobile Handsets and Consumer Electronics.

January 12, 2006 Bellevue, WA

Revolutions in flash memory technology have greatly increased the practical
uses of flash technology. Aleph One Ltd, a British company focusing on
embedded device development, has released YAFFS, a superior file system for
storing data on flash. ITTIA is partnering with Aleph One to provide the
best data solution for embedded devices requiring persistent storage.

The companies have confirmed compatibility between their product lines and
will work together to promote the use of their technologies.

Mobile devices and embedded systems that need to store persistent
information have a limited number of choices. The shock resistance, power
usage and smaller form factor makes flash memory a superior storage medium
in most cases. However, developers using flash face some unique challenges.
For example, too many writes to the same location on the flash disk can
render that location inoperable. Developers must take these and other
characteristics into consideration.

In order to help developers overcome these challenges, YAFFS can either be
used as a filesystem driver in the operating system, or be linked directly
with FUEL to bypass the operating system - even if no operating system
is available. This arrangement ensures that data is stored in an optimal
format to take advantage of flash memory.

"We developed YAFFS to provide a high reliability/high performance embedded
file system on NAND flash and are delighted that YAFFS has been selected by
ITTIA as a partner for their FUEL database," said Laurie van Someren,
Aleph One's General Manager. "We believe the products combine to
provide a highly effective embedded data storage solution and look forward
to further cooperation and developments."

FUEL has been designed with enough flexibility to support the unique
circumstances faced by embedded developers, such as persistent storage on a
battery-powered (unreliably powered) device. Because FUEL is fast and
small-footprint, it is a perfect match for mobile devices and embedded
systems.

ITTIA and Aleph One are a natural match for other reasons as well. Both
companies have a commitment to provide top-notch support at whatever level
the customer needs, and can provide development services and support to
ensure an optimal solution.

"We begin 2006 by emphasizing on meaningful business relationship and we are
delighted to announce our solution offering with Aleph One," said
Sasan Montaseri, President of ITTIA. "Aleph One has served the
embedded market for many years and our total solution add special value to
our customers."

For more information about FUEL, visit http://www.ITTIA.com/fuel/fuel.html

For more information about YAFFS, visit
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/drupal/?q=taxonomy/term/31