[Yaffs] bit error rates]

Jon Masters jonmasters at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:15:00 GMT 2006

On 2/9/06, Claudio Lanconelli <lanconelli.claudio at eptar.com> wrote:

> In case of ECC error fixed during read, erase the block and write it
> again with the same data and read verification, if the ECC still fails retire the
> block.

I think that's a bad idea. The block should be marked as bad. It's not
worth losing data just to save out on theorectically marking a good
block bad - it doesn't seem to happen in practice. I'd rather lose all
of the good blocks than lose any data, so would many other people.

> That's because Toshiba document says about soft errors: "This condition
> is cleared by a block erase".

Sure. But it might be indicative of a problem nonetheless.

Jon.