[Yaffs] Re: bit error rates

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com
Thu Feb 9 23:13:31 GMT 2006

Hi,

> > How YAFFS and YAFFS2 behave?
>
> YAFFS is being more cautious than that, which means that in theory YAFFS will
> lose blocks faster than they recommend. However from accelerated lifetime
> testing I've done, I have not seen this to be a practical problem since ECC
> errors are so rare once the problematic blocks have been removed.

There is another aspect to that - I've seen yaffs1 leak blocks under power
cycling conditions. I suspect power failures were producing incomplete
write/erase cycles and ecc errors as a consequence. That led to retirement of
good blocks that had bad luck to be written to during power down.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has seen this behavior.

Sergei