[Yaffs] Re: bit error rates

Jon Masters jonmasters at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:25:29 GMT 2006

On 2/10/06, Charles Manning <manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> I think an interrupted erase is probably more likely to cause
> problems, but again this is just a hunch.

I wonder how we could implement logic to detect this.

> Dealing to an interrupted write is relatively straight forward. It
> will always be the last page written before the system went
> down. Most of the time (except for the last page written to a
> block), we can detect the last page because it is the  last page
> in the currently allocated block.

I don't think this is currently testing on mount though.

> It would be nice to improve this, but as Jon sayas, I think data
> integrity should always come first!

Other people seem to disagree with my previous suggestions and I'm not
saying I can't be wrong in the matter :-) But I've not seen excessive
numbers of blocks being marked bad (except when fixing the OOB
code...) with read ECC failures. I accept though that this might just
be good old fashioned paranoia so if one of the vendor folks on this
list can comment, it would really help.

Anyway. I'm switching jobs soon (going to hack on a certain vendor's
enterprise kernel tools), so I won't have to worry so much about this
on a daily basis - just on home projects :-)

Jon.