[Yaffs] Re: bit error rates

Jon Masters jonmasters at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:03:00 GMT 2006

On 2/15/06, Peter Barada <peterb at logicpd.com> wrote:

> Well my perspective would be BadThing if its either 1% or 50% of the
> units suffering block losages like that.

If it's 1% and this is configurable, then there's no problem. I'd
leave the current semantics and live with a small return rate if I
felt data integrity was improved.

> In either case, you end up with 30-50% of your available space being lost.

True. But if this is configurable then people can decide. The fact
that nobody has patched the current behavior publicly suggests that
not enough people have problems with it.

> Imagine a 1GB iPod type device that after a year turns into a .5Gb iPod.  I can imagine
> customers would get pretty bent out of shape over that...

Actually, I bet they do get 1% return rates or something anyway, so
that's not a big problem :-) I'm already on my second iPod (badly
horribly designed thing - it's possible for the filesystem to get
trashed too easily - but I got it because I wanted to run ipodlinux).
In the case of an iPod, most people care less and Apple certainly
expect you to have copies of all of your *uhum* paid music in iTunes
anyway.

Jon.