[Yaffs] bit error rates --> YAFFS for devices with no OOB

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Feb 22 01:54:15 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 13:38, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Charles Manning wrote:
> > OK, I'll start investigating an OOB-less YAFFS and give that a priority
> > depending on the amount of interest. Hint to everyone: If this sounds
> > interesting, respond (on or off list), especially if you'd like to be
> > involved in some way.
>
> Would that make it more usable as a filesystem for Compact Flash cards?
>
> I've heard of people using JFFS2 on Compact Flash (using blkmtd),
> because it's power-fail-safe and is much better for wear than, say,
> ext3.

If we remove the oob need then suddenly YAFFS2 could be used with alternative
media using blkmtd or whatever. Whether or not this is useful beyond just an
academic exercise is open to speculation.

For now I hunch that mount times would suffer on blkmtd devices until we do
something in YAFFS to speed this up. eg. something like the block summary
approach proposed a few times.

-- CHarles