[Yaffs] Yaffs and ECC on mx21

Livio Tenze livio.tenze at enteos.it
Thu Mar 9 15:31:37 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to use the yaffs filesystem on my MX21 (arm) board.
The problem I have is that the MX21 processor provides a Nand Flash
Controller (NFC) which cannot be disabled and it is involved in updating
the ecc data on the spare are of the nand device.
I tested the yaffs enabling
USE_MTD = -DCONFIG_YAFFS_MTD_ENABLED
USE_OLD_MTD = -DCONFIG_YAFFS_USE_OLD_MTD
USE_NANDECC = -DCONFIG_YAFFS_USE_NANDECC

I read on the Makefile that "# CONFIG_YAFFS_USE_NANDECC
# This enables the ECC functions of the generic MTD-NAND driver.
# This will not work if you are using the old mtd." but the problem is
that it would be really difficult to update the mtd drivers on this kernel.

When I test the yaffs.o module and I try to write a file, I obtain the
following messages:
cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/minicom.log': Cannot allocate memory
and the nand device seems to be full.

What is the problem? May you help me?
Is it possible to solve this problem without changing the mtd directory?
Thanks a lot.

Livius