[Yaffs] Yaffs direct

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 10:08:11 BST 2006

In article <200604200805.41158.manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz>, Charles Manning wrote:
> What yaffs does provide internally is block and page ("chunk") management. It
> would be possible to fit a block device on top of that.

Thanks, I think that's what I needed to know.

The 1st bit of your reply was also of interest. We're currently using a 2.4
kernel (big job to go to 2.6 as our processor and toolchain are out of tree) and
the MTD guys no longer support this.

Is this summary correct -
Not only doesn't Linux yaffs need MTD, but it can't us it?
But yaffs direct provides chunk management so we can sit our own fat/fat32 on
top of it? (with some interface wrangling to map the block requests to the yaffs
chunk management - we need fat32 for the non-Linux case)

> In a
> non-scientific study

I wish all adverts were as honest. :-)

Regards