[Yaffs] Yaffs direct

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Apr 26 02:43:37 BST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 23:12, Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article <200604211605.54107.manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz>, Charles Manning
wrote:
> > If you must do FAT then it is probably simpler & more efficient to  just
> > do  a FAT file system on top of a block driver and leave YAFFS out of the
> > picture.
>
> Yes, but then we'd need to code all the NAND ECC, wear levelling, etc.

The fastest line between two points would probably be to run YAFFS Direct and
create a "blockfile". Then write a "block driver" that you use to access this
file as your FAT partition.

That would give you the wear levelling as well as provide you with YAFFS for
system files (ie. non FAT ones). At least then if your FAT gets hosed, the
system does not turn into a brick.

This would likely not be as fast (execution wise) as a custom-engineered block
driver for FAT, but it should get you further down the road faster.

-- CHarles