[Yaffs-archive] Re: yaffs and ecc

Author: Nick Bane
To: yaffs list
CC: gleixner
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: yaffs and ecc

> A follow on from my previous comments on this....
>
> > * Unlike NOR, you can attempt to write 1's on top of 0's without the
> > operation failing. The result is the logical AND of the two. ie.
> > programming 0xFE on top of 0x07 should yiled 0x06. Well that's my

current
> > belief anyway (and how I have implemented the writes in the nandemul
> > layer). I will investigate further to check.
> >

> Ehem... bitwise AND.
>
> I checked the dox for the Samsumng and Toshiba NAND parts and it looks

like
> this is correct and the NAND parts do not mark these as failures. Indeed

the
> Toshiba docs say that you should not reprogram the same values over

already
> programmed stuff. Instead you should be writing 0xffs. ie. The preferred

way
> to change the sequence 0x01, 0x02, 0xff, 0x04, 0x05 to 0x01, 0x02, 0x03,
> 0x04, 0x05 is to program over 0xff, 0xff, 0x03, 0xff, 0xff. I expect this

all
> ties in with the maximum number of times you can overwrite a page before

an
> erasure.

Sounds sane.

> There are however some checks in the nand.c that will fail the write.

These
> checks are enabled by CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE.
> Do you have this enabled?

I commented this out for the test that resulted in persistence being
established but zero file length.
I am running a mix of jffs2 and yaffs. As already reported, I found it a
problem to remove all ecc checking as the jffs2 partition did not
mount.Oddly the os didn't report ecc failures though.

> Since YAFFS does its own verification, CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE is not
> required. Maybe this could also become a partition dependent feature?

Absolutely.

> -- CHarles

from the list by
> sending an email to with the text