[Yaffs-archive] RE: Block size of Sandisk 256MB SD Card

Author: Steven Reddie
To: Charles Manning, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] RE: Block size of Sandisk 256MB SD Card
Thanks for the reply.

I'm an iPAQ Windows CE user (and developer). Yaffs seems to support Windows
CE so I'm wondering why I might need to use it. I got hold on a Sandisk
spec for a flash part which may or may not be used in their card. It has a
16KB block size. I take this to mean that when writing a 512-byte sector
over the top of an old one that the entire 16KB block needs to be erased.
It would therefore seem that one could write and then delete a 4MB file on a
FAT16 filesystem only 36.6 times before the card is dead due to wearing out
the allocation table block. I hope my understanding about this is wrong,
and was hoping that someone on this list may know the truth. I arrived at
36.6 time by using a 512-byte cluster size, a 16KB erase block size, and
FAT16 filesystem. Since an allocation sector contains 16-bit entries that
chain together clusters it would seem that a full 16KB block would contain
8192 entries which would account for 4MB of storage (8192*(512 byte
clusters)). So, writing and then deleting a 4MB file 36.6 times would cause
300,000 erasures of the allocation block.

Regards,

Steven