[Yaffs-archive] RE: Block Status Question

Author: Brad Beveridge
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] RE: Block Status Question
I think it is because ECC can correct a 1 bit error. The yaffs_isBlockBad function doesn't bother to do ECC so it is possible that there is a 1 bit error in the block status byte. Counting the bits < 7 implies that 2 bits are bad & there is no chance that ECC will fix it.

Side note - if what I say is correct, perhaps the tags should be ECC fixed (if bits < 8) & then checked against 0xFF, otherwise it would be possible for the block status byte to have a single bit error, but also other bytes of the tag to have errors - which would also invalidate the ECC check?

Ie,
    if (countBits < 7)
        return 1;
    else