[Yaffs-archive] Re: How about use YAFFS without MTD under Li…

Author: Charles Manning
To: guo, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: How about use YAFFS without MTD under Linux box?

On Saturday 02 August 2003 19:41, wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    How about use YAFFS without MTD under Linux box? Because the MTD CVS is
> not stable, so I do not want to use it under Linux. Is it OK?
> Best Regards,
> Russell Greece.

You certainly can use YAFFS under Linux without mtd - some people have done
this already. YAFFS does all its NAND accesses via four functions. If you
provide functions that access the NAND directly then things will work.

Do I recommend doing this? In general I suggest rather using mtd because it
adds other capabilities. There are always some reasons in embedded
development why you want to do things differently.

If you're having problems with mtd, it is likely easier to fix those than
build your own functions from scratch. I think most mtd problems are not in
NAND areas.

-- CHarles