[Yaffs-archive] Re: How about use YAFFS without MTD under Li…

Author: Thomas Gleixner
To: guo, manningc2, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: How about use YAFFS without MTD under Linux box?
On Thursday 07 August 2003 06:21, wrote:
> If I affronted those kind people because my unwisdom and impertinence, I
> apologize to every one very cordially. I always remember following phases
> that D. Richard Hipp's  ( www.sqlite.org ) blessing: May you do good and
> not evil.
>            May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others.
>            May you share freely, never taking more than you give.
> I don't know how to express my mind in English. My mother language is
> Chinese. My English is so poor.

It's quite clear. No problem. I was just a little bit nerved.

> > Technical stuff:
> >
> > Where does the compile _exactly_ fail ? Which version of MTD _excactly_ ?
> > How did you patch your kernel _exactly_ with MTD ?
>
> I checked out MTD by cvs almost everyday, so maybe the latest snapshot
> version. At this day, I try it again:
>     I patched it by "sh patchin.sh -c -j kernel-patch"
>     When I patched it to kernel 2.4.21, compiling succeed.
>     When I patched it to kernel 2.4.18,  error occurred when link vmlinux.
> Message is BUG_ON undefined at put_mtd_device. I grep whole kernel tree and
> cvs mtd tree, then did not find macro BUG_ON. I guess it just like ASSERT
> macro, so I comment every BUG_ON, and re-build kernel. compiling succed. so
> I "grep -rw BUG_ON 2.4.21/include" and find 2.4.21/include/linux/kernel.h
> has BUG_ON definition. How about think about this?

MTD is just following the ongoing kernel development. 2.4.18 is an "ancient"
kernel and has several functions / macros not implemented. You can either
backport those functions or use 2.4.21.

Why don't you want to use 2.4.21 ?

By specifying 2.4.18 you are explicitly saying you _want_ to use old
broken code and you don't want bug-fixes. So just use the MTD code that
is _in_ 2.4.18. Or upgrade your kernel.

--
Thomas