[Yaffs-archive] YAFFS: opinions

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] YAFFS: opinions
Hi YAFFSers

I'd like to ask the opinion of YAFFS-land before I do something.

One of the checks YAFFS currently does is to check that a chunk is fully
erased before it is written to. In many ways this check is overkill because
the chunk is verified again after writing. There is a compile switch to
disable this: CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_CHUNK_ERASED_CHECK.

Indeed, the only time I have ever seen this test trigger was due to a stupid
block management bug long since fixed.

Clearly this check is a bit expensive time-wise So herewith a thought... Most
likely ??? this check will get triggered by some attempt to write to an
unerased block. Therefore I wonder whether it makes sense to only do this
check on the first chunk in every block. This would give some speed-up.

Thoughts anyone?