[Yaffs-archive] Re: May NAND Flash chip store 2 or more YAFF…

Author: Charles Manning
To: guo, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: May NAND Flash chip store 2 or more YAFFS partition?
On Wednesday 06 August 2003 14:56, wrote:
> Hi all,
>     My question is, because NAND FLASH electronic furture, Can it run 2
> YAFFS with read-write mounted, either use MTD or not? Regards,
> Russell Greece.

Yes it can be done very easily. in two ways:

* With MTD:

ust partition the flash and mount the two mtd partitions sperately.

* With YAFFS
You can use YAFFS's own partitioning mechanism.
Each partion is the same as a yaffs_Device structure. Each has a start and
end block to use for that partition.
There is an example in the direct/yaffscfg.c file

    // /boot

    bootDev.startBlock = 1; // Can't use block 0
    bootDev.endBlock = 127; // Last block in 2MB.

    // /flash

    flashDev.startBlock = 128; // First block after 2MB
    flashDev.endBlock = 1023; // Last block in 16MB

Now the one partition uses blocks 1..127 and theother uses 128..1023.

You can even mix mtd partitionng and yaffs partitioning if you really wanted
to. However, if you are using mtd, then I suggest you use mtd partitioning.

-- CHarles