[Yaffs-archive] Re: [YAFFS] slow performance --> Cache enabl…

Author: Charles Manning
To: Edward J. Lee, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: [YAFFS] slow performance --> Cache enabling
YAFFSers

Edward's feedback was a big suprise to me as I would have expected the Linux
cache to have done the job more effectively that the YAFFS cache. Also I
would have expected the Linux cache to have aligned data in a way that
bypassed the short op cache. Let me explain:

The YAFFS internal caching is what I called a "short operation cache". It is
prettry basic and designed to give bang for bucks - a really simple cache
that tries to benefit the worste case scenarios in environments that do not
have a cache already (eg. in WinCE and YAFFS direct).

The YAFFS internal cache only caches reads and writes which are not chunk
(512 bytes) aligned. The Linux cache is page aligned, so I would therefore
have expected the short op cache to be largely bypassed in Linux.

Apart from stopwatch timing, you can also see the effect by looking in
/proc/yaffs at the cacheHits vs page reads and writes.

-- CHarles