[Yaffs-archive] [YAFFS] A question about ECC

Author: Edward J. Lee
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] [YAFFS] A question about ECC
Hi folks, it's been a while. (which means I had everything going just
fine :) )

Today's question is about ECC.

While I was reading the document 'yaffs rootfs - howto', there was a line

'6) Configure the kernel to include (not modules) all the mtd nand code
(incl nand_ecc and mtdblock device) and yaffs fs.'

Using the latest MTD code, CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC is no longer
supported in the kernel because it has been merged with CONFIG_MTD_NAND.
So I don't think nand_ecc needs to be included.(as it is included anyway)
But the puzzling part is, in the doc 'yaffs-notes', it says

'ECC is normally used with NAND to correct for single bit errors. YAFFS
applies the ECC itself, so the MTD should not do this.'

Now my question gets quite clear... what should I do?
One part of the doc says 'do', while another part says 'don't'.
I think a lot of people might get confused like me. The doc should be
revised a little
bit, I guess.
(If I knew better, I'd love to help, but I'm just an ordinary guy :'( )