[Yaffs-archive] YAFFS checkins/news

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] YAFFS checkins/news
Hi YAFFSers

I have just checked in some changes...

This should complete (well I hope so!) Luc and my efforts to fix a few
problems with renaming directories etc. Luc: can you check this stuff plz.

Benefits: far faster deletes and better POSIXness on some corner cases.

I hope nobody gets broken by this :-).

It also improves the background deletion and garbage collection.

It adds a more flexible configuration strategy for RTOS use. More on that
below.

It allows for differnt size blocks (51222-byte pages are still required).

Some of these are just part of the ongoing march towards YAFFS2.

Back to the RTOS stuff: More RTOS folks are using YAFFS, or considering
YAFFS. Good file systems are in short supply, so YAFFS is being pressed into
service for RAM and NOR too! There are GPL issues with using YAFFS with an
RTOS (ie. where all the code for the system gets statically linked into a
single binary). We're looking at ways to support everyone (ie licensing
options). Rest assured though, that GPL oriented users will always be
supported on GPL terms.

As I said back there, YAFFS is being used on NOR and RAM too. This has
required some tweaking. However, my policy is:
* Never compromise NAND
ie. I will not tweak YAFFS for other media at the expense of NAND.
YAFFS will always prefer NAND. If it works for other media - good.

-- CHarles