[Yaffs-archive] YAFFS checkin, news

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] YAFFS checkin, news
I have just checked in some changes:
* Improvement to the mtd interface provided by Christian Gan.
* Clean-ups proposed by Dan Fandrich.
* Improved block selection (to improve wear levelling) proposed by Luc.
* A couple of other tidy ups.

At present I know of the following issues:
1) Building with background deletion disabled is broken.
2) If you build with NANDECC enabled, then the use of yaffsram (ie the
internal RAM emulation) does not work.
3) Rename over an existing file (eg. cp a b; mv a b) is leaky.
4)Deleting a hardlink to a directory is not working properly.

These are being addressed as follows:
1) Just don't do it for now. In the long term the ability to disable
background deletion will be removed. The motivation to keep it in was to
provide some flexibility in case of performance issues. The soft delete stuff
improved delete performance to the extent that disabling background deletion
is of no benefit.
2) This is being changed so that nandecc is run-time selectable.
3 & 4) Luc and I are investigating. The VFS interface has been a big headache
to me in many areas, so it has been great having a few people (especially
Luc) flushing out problems & fixing them.

News.

*Luc and I have been testing the softdelete stuff (not yet in CVS). It looks
strong and faster.
* I have changed as many of the compile options as possible to run-time
options. (eg, nandecc selection). This allows, for instance, NANDECC to be
applied to one device but not another.

Thus, rather than base a stable release on what is currently in cvs, I think
it preferable to incorporate these improvements too.

If 3 and 4 above can be fixed in the next few days then we should have a very
solid YAFFS before Christmas. Ho, ho, ho.

-- CHarles