[Yaffs-archive] Re: [yaffs] an ECC problem (yet)

Author: Charles Manning
To: Edward J. Lee, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: [yaffs] an ECC problem (yet)
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:07, Edward J. Lee wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> I still can't get rid of those annoying messages saying
> 'Reading data from NAND FLASH without ECC is not recommended'
>
> I'm using YAFFS as a kernel file system and did everything the doc told
> me to.
> (Except for the option CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC, as
> [linux]/drivers/mtd/nand/Makefile has been
>  changed like...
>  obj-$(CONFIG_MTD_NAND)      += $(nandobjs-y)
>  obj-$(CONFIG_MTD_NAND)      += nand_ecc.o,
>  so the value CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC no longer exists! )

> Well, I'm wondering if there is something to do with the MTD options,
> but I can't figure it out.
>
> * Sorry for making such a fuss, I feel so stupid.

You're getting the messages because the mtd NAND layer is not providing the
ECC and is warning you.

I think this is because the docs are a bit stale. In the old days (when the
doc was written) you did not use the nand's ECC. Instead you used YAFFS's
internal ECC.

Now the recommended practice for YAFFS on Linux (with the latest mtd NAND) is
to use:

CONFIG_YAFFS_USE_NANDECC.

This tells YAFFS to not use its own ECC, but instead ask the mtd NAND to do
the ECC. This should also make the messages go away.

See if that helps.