Re: RE: [Balloon] CF slots on Balloon3

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: balloon
Subject: Re: RE: [Balloon] CF slots on Balloon3
17/09/2004 09:16:20, "Nick Bane" <>
wrote:

>Smallprint!
>So this rules out the NOR-free booting from 16-bit NAND future

we have been pondering?

Mostly, yes.

>Admittedly, it may be a price worth paying especially as it

permits the cpld to be a runtime chameleon.
>I just wanted to be clear on the implications.

If I'd seen a Balloon2 boot from NAND, I'd be more tempted to
leave that functionality in. However, it's tricky, untested, unproven,
and not necessarily even possible.
If it worked, and I could be sure that leaving the boot Flash off the
board was safe (saving board space and routing resource), I'd be
tempted. As it is, it's unproven, so I'd have to still fit the boot flash
to the board. The only benefit would be that we could no-fit the
boot flash once NAND-boot worked. That's a small cost saving -
nice, but no more than that. (And, to be honest, I'd like Balloon to
be bootable by conventional bootloaders, too. NAND-boot is
going to be very tricky, even if it works.)

Steve