RE: [Balloon] Why NAND and not NOR Flashes

Author: Nick Bane
To: juergen.messerer
CC: Balloon@Balloonboard.Org
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Why NAND and not NOR Flashes
> Lately there was an announcement of the new Toshiba E830 with
> 64MB NOR-Flash.
> The old version had 32MB NAND and 32MB NOR FLASH.
> In the article it says that now the programms can run directly from FLASH.

I think it means that one can run 64MB xip apps not 32MB+32MB data.
> - Is that corret? Is it only possible to run programms from NOR Flashes?

NOR is typically memory mapped, NAND is serial (except for first page of new 16-bit nands after a power cycle reset)

> - If yes, why dosen't we use NOR Flash instead of NAND?
> - Because of the price?

Yes.
Erase/write times to NAND are actually a lot faster than with NOR too.
Also, NOR is really slow so its fine for executing boot code but in reality anything running at PDA speeds needs to execute out of ram - unless it small enough to fit in the cache I suppose.

> Are the Intel STRATA Flash a special kind of FLASH Types?

I think it may be 3 bits per cell or something. And expensive of course.