Re: [Balloon] interface questions

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] interface questions
22/11/2004 17:30:12, Glen VanMilligan <>
wrote:

>Can someone tell me what type of parts can be driven by the

balloon board?
>I'm not sure what speed the data and address lines are

operating at?
>Has anyone successfully driven a 74HCxxx part from the mother

board connector

_Please_ don't use 74HC. It's very, very slow, if you want to run it
at 3.3V.
The LVT devices used to buffer the bus can tolerate 5V, so what
devices you want to use depends very much on what you want to
do. Do you just want to latch data in & out, or do more elaborate
things? As I've already suggested, if you want to do elaborate
things, then a PLD is almost inevitably the right solution.
If all you want are latches, the a PLD is still likely to be smaller,
cheaper, faster, easier to lay out a PCB, easier to redesign when
you change your mind / change the project requirements / want
to sell a few spare boards. However, if you absolutely must use
discrete logic, then TI's LVC, LVX or LVT families are all
reasonable candidates (and they have a handy free samples
service...)

Steve