[Balloon] Re: Fwd: How do I test the USB ports?

Author: Wookey
To: Glen VanMilligan
CC: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Fwd: How do I test the USB ports?
+++ Glen VanMilligan [04-12-01 10:21 -0800]:
> Here is my USB power issue, this was sent to the Balloon list.

OK - this (list) message doesn't seen to have made it to me yet. I wonder
where it has got to.

Hmm -there may be some number confusion here. Looking at the
top_compnents.pdf layout diag then the 3 USB connectors on the top are:
J15, J7, J16 (closest to J1 - serial/Jtag)

This is different to the numbering on the clickable image map pic of the
board on balloonboard.org/hardware/205/index.html (which numbers them
J20,J18,J19 (which are the equivalent duplicate sockets)

In fact I can't find J20,18 and 19 at all on the layout files - steve -where
are they supposed to be - do they in fact exist?

If someone (steve/dave?) can tell me which doc is correct, I'll try and make
sure they all match up.

Anyway, to get to the substantive issue:

OK - yes, I am only seeing +5V on the two outer conectors - J15 and J16, but
not he middle (slave) one - J7. That appears to be correct from the circuit
diagram, and makes sense - slave devices (can) take power from the host.

IS that the same as you are finding Glen?

> When I plug a memory stick into the J15 (A type connector) I was
> expecting to see data toggling on the +data and -data lines, but only see
> between 3.0 and 3.8 volts on the +data line (tried 2 different memory
> sticks). Is there a software test I can run to see if those ports are
> actually working?

I can't replicate this as I don't have an inline USB socket to make up a
suitable cable with. I'll get one.

Who else has used the USB host functionality on balloon?

Dave your hyra hsa a USB webcam does it not?

> Will the A-type USB port support a USB keyboard as a test?

It should do. It's just a matter of installing the right modules. As even I
think nick is person who has actually used this most.

> Other suggestions for debugging the USB ports?

For the USB host stuff I can't help much until I sort out a cable.

I'm goingto experiement with the slave stuff some more right now.