RE: [Yaffs] Yaffs with 2k Pages OR Yaffs2

Author: Rajiv Dhingra
To: tglx, Charles.Manning
CC: yaffs
Subject: RE: [Yaffs] Yaffs with 2k Pages OR Yaffs2
Charles and Thomas:

Thank you very much for your responses.  It will be a while before we make a decision (enjoying the holidays), but for the very reasons that you mentioned Charles, it might well be that I end up back-porting mtd to 2.4.20.    Any pointers in accomplishing this (in addition to the ones that you have already mentioned) would be truly appreciated.  Would most of the modifications be in the nand drivers or the mtd drivers?

Merry Christmas,

Rajiv

>>> "Charles Manning" <> 12/19/04 11:59AM >>>

Rajiv

I've thought about this a bit...
While Thomas it technically correct that YAFFS2 needs more recent mtd
(which no longer supports older kernels), I think it rather simple to
hack the mtd you have to support YAFFS2.

Basically, all you'd need to do is:
1) Modify the nand write/read functions to work with 2k pages (change
the size of the for loop), and a few other minor changes to handle ECC
etc.
2) Add a couple more required fields to the mtd_info structure.
3) Add two new functions block_markbad() and block_isbad() for bad block
handling.

Whether it is the right time for you to switch to a newer kernel or not
is your choice and should not be forced by mtd changes.

-- Charles