[Yaffs] YAFFS2 Issues

Author: Jeremy Fillingim
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] YAFFS2 Issues
Hi guys,

I have a custom PPC based system on which I have been running 2.6.10 +
board specific changes. The flash part that we are using is a 256MB
large page device (2048 page bytes + 64 spare bytes).

Up to this point I have been using JFFS2 + Summary support (head of MTD CVS)
with a small root partition (32MB) and a second large partition (>200MB). The
JFFS2 performance is decent in most cases, but mount times can be terrible.

I wanted to evaluate YAFFS2 as a possible replacement for JFFS2, so I pulled
the latest YAFFS2 code out of CVS and updated my MTD to the latest CVS. A few
minor changes to the Makefile and Kconfig stuff was all that was required to
get YAFFS2 compiled.

I am able to successfully mount an empty partition, and it "looks" like
a write to that partition succeeds. However, when I attempt to unmount the
YAFFS2 partition, I get a kernel oops. When I remount the partition,
my files do not show up.

This is the message that I receive when I unmount after touching a file
on the YAFFS2 partition.

VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...
idr_remove called for id=4 which is not allocated.
Call trace:
[c00b44e0] idr_remove+0x158/0x1f0
[c004eac8] kill_anon_super+0x3c/0x6c
[c004d964] deactivate_super+0xa0/0xd4
[c0065cf4] __mntput+0x30/0x44
[c0055798] path_release_on_umount+0x4c/0x60
[c00665c8] sys_umount+0x2bc/0x2d4
[c0002a00] ret_from_syscall+0x0/0x48

I did my MTD and YAFFS2 CVS checkouts on Friday April 15.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.