[Balloon] Samosa bus breakthrough

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Samosa bus breakthrough
Nick and I have just seen the first flickers of life from the Samosa bus
which is to be a feature of Balloon 3. With a modified CPLD on a TCL
2.05 Balloon board, we have been able to read and write data to and from
a test board on the other end of the connection. Nick has put low-level
support for the bus into the kernel, as well as a /proc interface for
test purposes, and I've modified the CPLD code to include an extra
configuration bit for untangling the data bits on the NAND/Smartmedia bus.

It coexists happily with 3 NAND chips and yaffs2, too :-)

In case anyone is wondering what Samosa is, it's a repurposing of the
pins of the Smartmedia connector to make a simple-to-use highish-speed
parallel expansion bus without the need to connect to the big Samtec
connector.

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights