Re: [Balloon] Re: Com1 (Pinko) port

Author: Chris Jones
To: Wookey
CC: Glen VanMilligan, Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: Com1 (Pinko) port
Wookey wrote:
>>First, I was hoping I could get some help on the specifications for the PINKO
>>port, as I was having trouble getting it to talk. So could some one tell me
>>what the voltage levels and current values are that make it work.
>
> I don't know about that. Al the PINKO_* lines go to the CPLD so must use
> its logic levels. Check the datasheet but I assume it is standard
> 5V-tolerant 3V logic.

Yes, it's just 3V logic. COM1 from the ARM gets inverted in the CPLD so
it's the same sense as a 'proper' serial port but with 0V/3V logic
instead of -5V/+5V.

> The AUD_L_* and AUD_R_* signals go to the Audio chip so again check the
> datasheet for levels. The AUD_IN signal is a bit more subtle. Check if R26
> and R27 are fitted to enable it. Hardware people? what are the levels for
> this?

There are some subtleties here! AUD_L_-/+ and AUD_R_-/+ are the outputs
from the power amplifier, designed to be connected to speakers. The
AUDIO_IN signal is actually used as an audio output by TCL - it's
connected to the junction of the codec and the audio power amp, so it
contains line-level audio, more or less, but you can also feed audio
into it to have it amplified by the power amp and come back at you
through AUD_L_-/+ and AUD_R_-/+.

Beware that the Pinko connector will change significantly in Loon 3 due
to TCL's changing requirements.

>>Second, I don't know where I should get the source code for the XICOR CPLD. I
>>belive I saw the binary code on the aleph site, but not the source. We are
>>still thinking that we should be using d31 on the large external connector,
>>so we would need to make the change.
>
> I've got a .jed file here but I'm not sure if that the correct editable
> form, and it's certainly not the most recent version. Chris, you almost
> certainly have the newest CPLD source - can you post it?

The .jed file isn't really editable, it's just what the Xilinx
programming tool (iMPACT) accepts. The source consists of a VHDL file
and associated UCF (pin assignment) file. I have them here but what I've
got is based on a David Bisset development version, so I'll OK it with
him first. The latest version includes various handy updates - support
for 16-bit NAND, audio recording fixes, and much more.

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights