[Yaffs] Problem with file attributes

Author: Frank Lehmann
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Problem with file attributes
Hello Everyone,

just now I changed from 'jffs2' to 'yaffs'. Up to now no problems occurred
during compiling and setting up my embedded system with 'yaffs' NAND flash
partitions in combination with kernel 2.4.25. The MTD driver is working
fine. Installing and mounting 'yaffs' partitions performed very well.
No errors when reading from or writing to 'yaffs' partitions. As far as
good!

Unfortunately at the end of the day one problem came up. All files or
directories I create as user (not 'root') are assigned to 'root'.
For example if I am user 'abc' and I create a file or if I transfer a file
via FTP to the 'yaffs' partition to any directory which doesn't belong to
group or user 'root', I always get assigned user and group 'root' to that
file. After that I can change permissions, user and group.

Even if I use the setgid and setuid flags (6755) of a directory which
belongs to user 'abc' and group 'xyz' and where I create or transfer a file,
the result is always the same. The new file belongs to 'root'.

It seems that after remounting everything is fine.

My expectation was that 'yaffs' handles the file/directory attributes in
same way like other file systems. Maybe I am wrong?

Any idea what's going wrong? Hints in this regard are appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank