[Balloon] Re: bootldr woes

Author: Nick Bane
To: Colin Tuckley
CC: balloon@balloonboard.org
Subject: [Balloon] Re: bootldr woes
Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Nick Bane wrote:
>

>>Right. All my "smalls" (no amusements intended) are slow as they are
>>intended to be universal for TCL.
>

> What does "slow" actually imply, do some balloons run at a slower speed than
> others?

Its the 133MHz sa1110 cpu version. Balloon2s can be fitted with the
slower rated chip as they are cheaper (but probably cost more than a
pxa270 now). There were not used in any production TCL board but I was
mindful of all possible builds. All that the slow variant does is alter
the default clock speed to 133MHz. The xmodem upload of a fast is still
as horribly slow for slow cpu as fast cpu versions so there is almost
nothing lost in having a slow small bootldr.

>>Those were all interims that got binned if I recall correctly. I'll send
>>one my latest small in bootldr36-3-6-2006 2.95s and see if its a
>>difference between me and you.
>

> Pulled that from the website and tried it - it works.

Thank goodness. I would have been worried if it had not.

> So, it seems that either it's something I've changed to make it compile with
> gcc v3 or it's something different between the sources on husaberg and the
> sources you used to build 36.
>
> Can you send me a Tarball of the sources used to build bootldr36-3-6-2006
> and I'll see what the difference are. Or maybe you can run a quick diff
> between them and the sources you pulled from svn on balloonboard.org.

Will do. The change is a trivial one to move an #endif around an #ifdef
to do with NAND/YAFFS in bootldr.c so that "small" compiles cleanly but
I've posted it anyway in the same place as the last small binaries.

> regards,
>
> Colin

Nick