[Yaffs] STMicro and NAND read-disturb

Author: Jesse Off
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] STMicro and NAND read-disturb
Recently our founder had lunch with a STMicro engineer that knew quite a bit
about NAND and specifically the read-disturb failure modes. He told us that
after 100,000 or so reads of a sector, the stored data is actually very
likely to experience corruption. Subsequent reads of the sector will return
the same corrupted data, but the flash sector can be erased and reprogrammed
(with the same data or otherwise) for another 100,000 or so reads. Towards
the end of the useable life of the flash, a written sector may only be good
for 1000 (or less) reads before it looses value. He also reaffirmed that
the quality of NAND chips have peaked and we should expect the NAND "quirks"
to get worse in the future.

When asked for market predictions on alternative NAND chips with embedded
controller logic in the chip (such as OneNAND, etc..) STMicro seems to
believe those chips will be confined to niche markets and the current
architecture of the 2k sector NAND chip will be where all the volume will
be. I'm not sure if YAFFS is currently pursuing support of OneNAND, but
from the sound of it it may not be a big deal either way.

Is it still the current behavior of YAFFS2 to retire a sector permanently
that experiences a read-disturb? We still seem to have a return rate of
our boards about 1 every couple months with YAFFS having marked a large
proportion of the flash sectors bad. This is much worse than the failure
rates we have seen for CompactFlash cards-- which are usign the same NAND
chips inside as YAFFS. In every case we've done failure analysis, the flash
is almost 100% good after wiping the flash clean and unmarking the sectors
bad.

//Jesse Off