[Balloon] Re: JTAG on balloons and related projects

Author: Dominic Rath
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: JTAG on balloons and related projects
Hi,

I'm developing OpenOCD, and I want to clarify some things that got mixed up
during the discussion in #openjtag.

Currently, the OpenOCD supports debugging of ARM7 and ARM9 systems, meaning it
is able to halt the core, examine registers, read/write memory, set
breakpoints and so on.
It's also going to offer the same functionality for XScale cores (PXA2[57]x,
IXP42x, probably not IXP23xx, as there's no documentation I could find), and
the basics are already working, like downloading the debug handler, accessing
registers (including coprocessor regs), read/write memory. The details that
are missing are break/watchpoints, single-stepping, resuming (okay, this one
probably isn't just a detail, but not much trouble either).
It also contains flash writing support for CFI compatible NOR flashes using
the Intel commandset, with a patch for AMD/Spansion commandset lurking in my
inbox, for which I haven't had time yet. The flash writing is done by using
the CPU to do the accesses, either one read/write at a time, or by
downloading a small handler to the target and writing a whole buffer at a
time. It doesn't use the boundary scan chain, and achieves about 10k on a
ARM7TDMI using a Wiggler (dumb parallel port) interface.

The OpenOCD also contains a XSVF player which I use to program Xilinx
CoolRunner parts, and which I'm planning to extend to Xilinx FPGAs and other
CPLDs. Playing the bitfile could be possible, too, but isn't implemented
yet - using Impact to produce the .xsvf worked for me so far.

The JTAG layer has generic "bitbang" support that's currently used by a driver
for PC parallel port hardware, FTDI FT2232C support (Amontec JTAGkey, Olimex
ARM-USB-OCD, homebrew devices) and support for the Amontec JTAGAccelerator
(IEEE1284 EPP, faster than all the other interfaces, but proprietary). It
supports multiple devices in a scan chain, but not multiple scan chains,
though that could be added easily - the difficulty with multiple chains
probably arises once you "use" the JTAG layer to do board-level testing etc.

I've always wanted to add boundary-scan PCB testing features (opens, shorts,
etc.), too, but while talking about this in #openjtag, I came to the
impression that we (I?) didn't really know enough about the use of this
functionality. So the OpenOCD isn't about PCB testing, at least not now.

Best regards,

Dominic Rath