[Yaffs] yaffs2 on 2.6.17.6

+ (text/html)
Author: kim M
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] yaffs2 on 2.6.17.6
Hi all

I am considering switching from jffs2 to yaffs2 to improve mount time.
Currently, I have aprox 30-60 sec mount time for a 22 MB partition + some
additional 60 sec while the garbage collection continues to run.

I have previously used YAFFS with success. Back then I was using the
direct interface though.

Currently I am on a 2.6.17.6 ARM kernel with a fresh YAFFS2 checkout and
up-to-date MTD utils from git. I create my Image with mkyaffs2image and
burn it using flash_eraseall + nandwrite -a -o. When mounted I get a
single "lost+found" dir which contains a lot files:

UCM]$ll /mnt/flash_fs/lost\+found/
Using fallback suid method
?---------    1 root     root    535297448 Jan  1 00:06 obj100201
?---------    1 root     root    127526295 Jan  1 00:06 obj100250
?---------    1 root     root    382546882 Jan  1 00:06 obj1007
?---------    1 root     root    534871804 Jan  1 00:06 obj1008
?---------    1 root     root    511678771 Jan  1 00:06 obj1011
?---------    1 root     root 380946853 Jan  1 00:06 obj101205
etc...

I have tried applying the mtd2if2.c patch and switching back and forth
between YAFFS and MTD ECC. Have I missed something here?

BTW: what is the correct way of forcing YAFFS2 to use ECC calculated by
MTD? I wan't to do this so I can burn the images from u-boot in the same
way as I burn JFFS2 images.

If I manage to get YAFFS2 running on my target, I want to enhance the
mkyaffs2image to support root+permission squash plus support
for device_table files. Is anyone else working on this?

Thanks in advance:)
kim