[Balloon] Re: Kernel into mainline

Author: Wookey
To: Balloon
CC: Nick Bane
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Kernel into mainline
On 06-09-01 11:09 +0100, Nick Bane wrote:
> At some point the kernel tree should move to balloonboard. However, ther
> may be several folks that have checkouts based on husaberg. How do we
> handle this? May be one could do both and keep the monoloithic kernel on
> husaberg and the patchset at balloonboard.

[Moved to list]. The main problem with retaining the monolithic svn
kernel on husaberg is that people will keep using it due to inertia
and we'll just be maintaining two versions, with important stuff only
going in to the 'wrong' tree (very bad). I think we have to have a
switchover day/week, but equally it has to be simple to switch, and it
has to work for everybody (the bootldr import breakage being a
lesson-in-point).

Tagging the import, or having a branch so that it is trivial to check
out a version just like the one you were using yesterday is clearly a
necessary first step.

I'll have a think about how best to do what's needed. Currently stalled on
properly grokking quilt (which isn't hard, I just haven't done it yet).

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/