Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS garbage collection

+ (text/html)
Author: goog long
To: Vitaly Wool
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS garbage collection
I have heard a lot that YAFFS garbage collection is faster, but I need to write a test to get some numbers. I wonder if we have some test problem to collect garbage collection numbers.

By the way, "mount /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt -t yaffs" works for me, but "mount /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt -t yaffs2" does not. I received something like this for yaffs2:
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd4
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 2b04000 -- 70 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x02b08000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 2bf0000 -- 71 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x02bf4000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 2c54000 -- 72 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x02c58000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 2cdc000 -- 73 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x02ce0000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 3d4c000 -- 99 % complete.
# mount /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt -t yaffs2
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mtdblock4,
      or too many mounted file systems

Ceco

Vitaly Wool <> wrote: On 9/5/06, goog long wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to characterize YAFFS garbage collection? How can
> we tell YAFFS garbabe collection is faster or slower than JFFS2?

As YAFFS is a purely NAND filesystem and is not to deal with NOR
flashes with longer erase times as opposed to JFFS2, its GC is
simpler/faster.

Vitaly