Re: [Yaffs] RE:Bad blocks - DMESG

Author: ian@brightstareng.com
To: yaffs
CC: chandrasekar
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] RE:Bad blocks - DMESG
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 09:42, Brad Beveridge wrote:
> In Yaffs terminology, a chunk is one page of NAND.  So you are
> accessing the 19889th page on the device (19889/32 = block
> 621). Without looking at the Yaffs code, I'm not 100% sure
> what the ":1" part is - perhaps the byte address?

A 512 byte page has two ECC units, the ":1" indicates which unit.

Candru, I agree with Brad, until you have shown that the MTD
interface is working correctly, there is really no point in
trying Yaffs. And worse...

If Read is broken but writing to oob/spare works, you might land
up with large numbers of erroneous bad-block markers installed
in your NAND. I always recommend disabling the bad-block marking
in Yaffs and/or MTD when bringing-up new designs/drivers -- this
requires some simpe hacking. Also keep a per-chip record of the
factory-installed bad-block indicators before you start --
but this will require the MTD Read to operate first.

If Read is broken, but erase is working, one could potentially
erase the factory-installed bad-block indicators!

On a new device, all data should Read 0xFF and only the blocks
marked bad in the factory should have any zero bits in the
oob/spare fields. So again, get MTD nand Read and nanddump
working first.

-imcd