Re: [Yaffs] Saving checkpoint on remount read-only

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
CC: Michael Arm
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Saving checkpoint on remount read-only
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 09:28, Michael Arm wrote:
> >> If the underlying media were write-protected, as with the button
> >> on a VAX RA81 drive, the 'clean-up' write/erase would fail.
> >
> > Good one! Those were real computers! I really liked the VAX file system
> > model with recoverable file versioning. Progress isn't always forward.
>
> It seems like YAFFS would be a perfect candidate for implementing
> recoverable file versioning. Is that something you've ever considered
> doing?

No it isn't perfect for doing this at all. An overwrite does just that, it
overwrites and old data is lost.

A roll-back fs is interesting from an academic perspective, but probably is
not that practical because the OS calls don't support it and nor does POSIX.
There's already too much stuff to do just keeping YAFFS doing POSIX.

-- CHarles