[Yaffs] how does one properly create & write a yaffs2 image?

Author: Christopher Friedt
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] how does one properly create & write a yaffs2 image?
This might sound like a really, really over-answered FAQ, but how does
one actually go about creating a yaffs2 image?

I used mkyaffs2image on a directory, received a file image in return,
and there were no error codes on exit. However, After writing that image
to flash with RedBoot, launching into an NFS root, and mounting the
flash device, absolutely nothing shows up within the directory aside
form 'lost+found'.

Could anyone offer some instruction as to how I could write a yaffs2
image to flash 'properly' ?

~/Chris