Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 crashes kernel during 'cp'

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 crashes kernel during 'cp'
On Friday 20 April 2007 00:08, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> On Thursday 19 April 2007 03:42, Charles Manning wrote:
> > Could you please post the contents of /proc/yaffs.
> >
> > This pointer should not be NULL for a yaffs2-mode system, but can be NULL
>
> for
>
> > a system running in yaffs1 mode. In that case, however, this function

Well it is not running in yaffs1 mode so the pointer should never be NULL.

That would suggest to me that somehow the yaffs short op cache is screwed up.
The dd's you do:
#dd if=/dev/zero of=/nand0/test1 bs=2k count=xxx

are chunk aligned which means that you're bypassing the cache.
If that theory holds, then
#dd if=/dev/zero of=/nand0/test1 bs=2k count=1000
will work and it is not a file size issue.

What happens if you do
#dd if=/dev/zero of=/nand0/test1 bs=1k count=10

That would force yaffs to use the cache and, I suspect might cause the crash.

If this is happening then it is probably because the cache is not being
allocated correctly and unfortunately there are insufficient checks in place
to see that the malloc succeeded. There is some stuff I am working on that
fixes this and other issues but that won't be checked in for a while.

Something else to try would be do look in yaffs_fs.c for where
dev->nShortOpCaches is assigned and set that to zero. That turns off the
internal cache.

-- CHarles