Re: [Balloon] Using quilt with balloon

Author: Lennert Buytenhek
To: Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Using quilt with balloon
On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 03:25:29PM +0100, Wookey wrote:

> HOWTO use quilt (for balloon development)
>
> As of today the official balloon kernel sources are in
> balloonboard.org svn in the form of patches.

Yay. I converted a couple of older balloon kernel patches to quilt
series by hand some time ago because I found it much easier to deal
with them in that way.

One thing I'd like you to consider (haven't looked at the patches
yet, so I'm not sure whether you've done this or not) is to not just
commit random patches into your tree, but to keep detailed logs of
why a certain patch was committed into the tree and why.

Of course, when you commit the patch you know what it does, but it's
hard to remember 6 months later, and while it might seem more work
up-front, it definitely pays off in the end.

Having spent a lot of my time looking at multi-megabyte 2.6.14 vendor
tree patches trying to pick out stuff for upstream merging, I can
tell you that this is _not_ a fun job, and you really want to avoid
getting into the situation where merging your stuff upstream has
become too hard because noone remembers what half your tweaks were
actually for.