Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2-ian-20070523.tgz

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs, rick
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2-ian-20070523.tgz
On Friday 06 July 2007 10:18:07 Rick Bronson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using yaffs2-ian-20070523.tgz with some success but I'm still
> getting errors like the ones below. I don't seem to get any errors
> unless I reboot in the middle of running an application that is doing
> yaffs read/writes. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Rick Bronson
>
> Here are my specifics:
>
> yaffs2 version:
>
> yaffs2-ian-20070523.tgz
>
> NAND chip (512/16):
>
> Flash chip found:
>          Manufacturer ID: 0x98, Chip ID: 0x75 (Toshiba TC58256FT/DC)
> 1 flash chips found. Total nand_chip size: 32 MB

> kernel:
>
> Linux acq 2.6.22-rc1 #170 Thu Jul 5 13:58:14 PDT 2007 armv4tl GNU/Linux
>
> .config file:
>
> CONFIG_YAFFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS1=y
> # CONFIG_YAFFS_9BYTE_TAGS is not set
> # CONFIG_YAFFS_DOES_ECC is not set
> CONFIG_YAFFS_YAFFS2=y
> CONFIG_YAFFS_AUTO_YAFFS2=y
> # CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_LAZY_LOAD is not set
> CONFIG_YAFFS_CHECKPOINT_RESERVED_BLOCKS=10
> CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_WIDE_TNODES=y
> # CONFIG_YAFFS_ALWAYS_CHECK_CHUNK_ERASED is not set
> CONFIG_YAFFS_SHORT_NAMES_IN_RAM=y
>
> NOTE: I've also tried:
>
> CONFIG_YAFFS_DISABLE_LAZY_LOAD=y
>
> Here are the errors:
>
> yaffs chunk 608 was not erased

These errors happen when the scanning determined that the blocks were empty,
but when yaffs allocated this for writing it was not erased.

This happens when yaffs is presented with chunks where the data area is not
erased but the tags ares is erased.

This can happen due when:
1) You start with an unerased flash that was previously written in the data
area but not in the tags (oob) area. Suggest erasing the nand and trying
again.
-or-
2) There's something broken in the oob reading/writing code.

-- Charles