Re: [Yaffs] Percent usage affects write performance

+ (text/html)
Author: Asheefikbal
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Percent usage affects write performance
Hi Charles,

I am also fcing the same problem.

I am thinking of following approaches to address this issue. Please correct
me if i am wrong

1. I tried the GC during SoftDeleteWorker context.
    i.e, in the function "yaffs_SoftDeleteChunk" after incrementing the
"softdeletion" parameter
    of the block information, call yaffs_CheckGarbageCollection

    I have tried this method to minimise the GC load during file write (i.e,
the load on
    yaffs_WriteChunkDataToObject)

2. While observed during Garbage Collection that, even if the pagesInUse of
a block becomes ZERO
    (i.e, bi->pagesInUse - bi->softDeletions in "
yaffs_FindBlockForGarbageCollection" function,), in
    function   yaffs_GarbageCollectBlock, we are reading all the chunks and
decrement the nDataChunks
    counter of the correcponding object.

    I am just wondering is it possible to remove this overhead (reading all
the chunks while the pagesInUse
    of that block is zero) by updating the nDataChunks counter while
softDelete of the corresponding object,
   and erase the block directly while the pagesInUse of that block are zero.

Also i am wondering, will the above two approaches cause any abnormal
behaviour in any other context.

Thanks,
Asif

wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm run into problem with yaffs2 usage.
>> When yaffs2 was only created(0% usage), I have write performance about
>> ~1Mb/sec.
>> When usage increased to 40-50%, I have only 450-500Kb/sec.
>> When usage increased to 95-99%, it's only 50-90Kb/sec. :-()
>>
>> My test is very simple, just copy 1Mb file from mem to yaffs2:
>> time cp /test.txt /usr/local
>>
>> /usr/local is yaffs2, / - is initramfs.
>>
>> Is there any reason for that? Maybe it's some GC related things and it's
>> normal behaviour?

> Yes it is GC causing this.
>
> Depending on how stuff is written to the fs, the GC sometimes has to work

much
> harder to get erased space to write.
>
> It seems the GC could do with some exploration to look for some

improvements.

> -- Charles

The information transmitted herewith is confidential and proprietary information intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.