Re: [Yaffs] Mounting time ==> time for block summaries.

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
CC: celeber2
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Mounting time ==> time for block summaries.
On Tuesday 29 July 2008 00:29:38 alex z wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Yaffs2 for an embedded system, and the largest Yaffs2 partition
> of my system is 3Giga Bytes, and then copy 600+ files into it. Then normal
> mounting time of this partition is about 3 seconds. But it will take a long
> time (about 4 minutes) to mount this partition when after write the
> partition and system is not normal power off.

4 minutes sounds excessive. This will largely depend on the speed of the NAND
driver.

The issue is that scanning takes a long time because of having to read all the
tags to reconstitute the file systems state.

> I read many emails from Google which meet the same issue, but without a
> solution/workaround yet. Can comments from you? Thanks for your support!

One proposed idea (that still needs development) is to write block summaries.
The last page (or so) in each block would be written with all the tags values
for the other chunks in the block. This means that many tags can be read in
one hit: vastly speeding up the tag reading time.

While this approach is unlikely to be as fast as a checkpoint (ie a clean
shutdown ) it will be significantly faster than a full scan.

-- Charles