Re: [Yaffs] Sequential blocks marked bad

Author: Wagner Scott (ST-IN/ENG1.1)
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Sequential blocks marked bad

wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I happened to read " ... And it seems there are lots of blocks that

are
>> marked bad afterwards." in a recent post, followed by Charles'

comment
>> that "Bad blocks are usually a result of some lower level issue with

the
>> device driver hosing the spare bytes."
>>
>> I have had intermittent problems for awhile now with yaffs (v1.27,

small
>> page mode) going on a spree of sequentially marking all free blocks

bad.
>> I have suspected that this is the result of either a lower-level

device
>> driver or hardware issue, but have not been able to gather much data
>> because the issue is so sporadic.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some pointers as to where I can find more info,
>> diagnostics, or work anyone has done on this type of problem in the
>> past? I would really like to track it down and fix it.
>
>I would expect a byte palcement issue in the driver to give reasonably
>consistent/repeatable results since that would be algorithmic.
>
>Sounds more like a driver timing/hardware issue.
>
>-- Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your answer. I agree - I think there is a LL driver or
timing issue.

Can you please give me a little more detail on "a byte placement issue
in the driver to give reasonably consistent/repeatable results since
that would be algorithmic"? Are you referring to an existing /
available test mechanism which would exercise the LL driver and
potentially help to isolate this problem?

Thanks
Scott